Monday 12 March 2012

Professional enquiry-a start!

So after reading the course reader on Professional Inquiry, I should have a better knowledge of how to 'further investigate, explore, evaluate and explore my professional practice'....... Im just struggling to pin point my professional practice! I couldnt agree more with Emily-Sophia about her lack of motivation for starting this module, and the more I tried to get involved and gain further understanding, the more I started to fear and hideaway from it.

Im actually off sick from work today, and knowing how behind I already am with the workload, and also knowing that I probably couldnt feel much worse than I already do today, I thought why not take a good long look at my life and indeed where I would like it to go to and how i can pinpoint that down into one line of inquiry. See, I was hoping that from gaining this degree it would open up the pathway for a career, I had just never thought too seriously about what career that would be in a specific sense.

I have always worked with children and it is something I absolutly love doing. I started coaching gymnastics at the age of 14 and continued to take courses and progress to a head coach level, running local gymnastics classes and entering many gymnasts into national competitions. I have always done this alongside my dance training, which gave me a slight edge in that i was relatively bendy and had a few tricks up my sleeve when we got to that stage in our training where tricks were useful! So you would think, that having gone through 3 years professional dance training and loving working with children this would be a no brainer- why dont i become a dance teacher?! I would love nothing more than to feel at ease and motivated by this, but truthfully, I see dance teachers as creative adults who have great vision for choreography. This is where my problem lies- teach me a dance, Ill be one of the ones who can pick it up effortlessly, however, ask me to chreograph a dance, I could be there for hours thinking up a starting position! This generally is a thought process i have with a lot of things, even down to this WBL course. Ask me a question and I can answer or research it great, however, thinking up my own questions and trying to come up with my own theories is not something im all together confident with. I recognise this, and I am trying hard to work on it.

Teaching children is definately something  have a passion for. I see teaching gymnastics as completely different because i feel it is more structured with the use of different equipment, however i also feel there is a real need for more dance technique within the training of a competitive gymnast. Could this be one of the paths i could lead on to, I have many friends/colleagues/peers whose professions range from full time gym coach, to full time dance teachers and also a gym coach who is currently performing in Singapore in a dance/circus show. Therefore giving me a 'line of enquiry' to start and progress with.

However, I would also love to one day work in a primary school. I was a TA for over a year and I loved the interaction with the children, how I could help out with drama classes and their school plays. When I first started on this course this is where i saw myself heading, and wanting to work. Unfortunatley, i had to leave that TA job as i re-located back home to buy a house and get married, and i am struggling to get my foot back into the primary school door without any TA qualifications. I have been volunteering with a special needs nursery as a TA but not as much as i would like with me working a full time job in customer services!

Sooooooo, this is where I'm up to, having to nail down exactly which way i want to go with this. Maybe i can join my two interests, looking at my dance and gymnastics training as one hobby conjoined, and using that as a leverage into working in a primary school and working my way onto the education ladder............? Im about to start brainstorming some questions to see if this helps clear things up with regards to looking at a profession, researching and developing it and eventually proposing an aard title with it!

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment